That time of year again when we make our annual trek up to Michigan to visit with family, find some ultimate apple cider and look for adventures of all kinds.
This year was a little different as my Mom thrives with this lung stuff and her husband decided it was a great time to tick off his liver. But that doesn't mean we can't have a little fun anyway.
Pfft, as if we are going to let a little thing like health get us down... OH NO Sirreee!
Here are the 20 things I learned on our Fall Michigan Adventure of 2013:
1) A beautiful sky over the mountains, makes even a rainy day drive seem awesome:
2) I can do handstands at Starbucks (handstand in Kentucky- check off list)
3) My Mom looks really really really awesome with a chemo buzz cut..
4) I learned way way way more than I'd like to know about liver disease....
5) A cancer center has a chemo assembly line and a whole lot of literature that shares nothing about the nature of food and herbs in helping with symptoms or avoidance. The bigger lesson here is that I was able to walk through this cancer center and keep my mouth shut. (sorta)
6) I can eat 11 salads in 8 days
7) The child can be thrown off a spinny pull-up bar thing at the park busting his lip, and hurt his leg but break nothing and not require stitches. Shewww!
8) My Mom can walk her little self over to a swing-set and squeal with joy!!! Every accomplishment is an accomplishment.
9) Swinging on a swing with the Vegkid and sitting in the sun for the first time in 12 months, made that the best day of NeeNee's life. Don't take breathing for granted people!!!!
10) I can do a handstand on my grandma-in-law's tree to cheer her up.. (her photo removed and michigan handstand - checked off list):
I can also do a handstand on the side of barn... just because I wanted to do a handstand on the side of a Cider Mill barn:
11) Michigan did in fact have the best apple crop ever. As in A LOT OF apples on every tree:
12) We can have great fun with my other side of the family picking apples and playing outside with cousins
13) I can make it to the top of a rock climbing thing:
14) People at a Michigan Cider Mill will stop you to comment, the musician will even stop playing their song to give you a microphone shout out, and you may get a high five from strangers if you show up wearing an "Eat More Kale" shirt.
15) The sounds of fans, TV's and air machines for the better part of every single 24hr period will drive a person BATTY.. pretty sure I'm still hearing buzzing in my ears.... "What, I can't hear you!!!"
16) Shopping with my oldest bestest friend is still a whole lot of fun even when I don't get to buy much. But learning that I dropped another pant size was pretty fun too.
17) My husband can be home by himself with no humans or canines and still can't water a plant:
18) You can find wheat grass juice in Ohio:
19) I can put make-up on my Mom and watch her smile from ear to ear. But watching her do a "Call me Maybe" pose for the camera was just too darn funny!!
20) My friend can make the best pickled veggies.. I apparently do like pickled veggies:
So there is our Michigan adventure for Fall 2013.... Vegkid also got to play golf with his other grandparents, go swimming at his aunt's house and we blew some fun money at an arcade to pass the time.
While dealing with everyone's medical status was not on my agenda for this trip, it was still nice to be there. The timing for everything was perfect, we have good memories (some tough memories), a whole lot of apples and we made it home safely.
OH, one more thing we learned this trip....80 degrees in October IN MICHIGAN is AWESOME, with the leaves changing colors and everything. Never quite experienced that before.
Life is GOOD!